Hygiene and Safety Protocols
Your Health Is Our Priority
Travel with Confidence
AffordableTours takes your health and well-being very seriously, which is why we partner with operators who have elevated and introduced hygiene and safety protocols to ensure everyone on your trip is safe and remains healthy. We have all adapted to this new world, where it is important for us to take additional hygiene measures. In addition to the measures taken by our partners, we ask that you please take personal responsibility for your well-being as well. This begins with packing any necessary equipment such as santizers, masks, or anything else you require. Please be sure to follow physical distancing and hygiene practices while you are on your trip and follow all health instructions from our travel partners. Let's help keep each other safe and healthy. See below each of our partner's plans to keep you safe on your trip:
Today's world has changed, but what remains certain is Avalon Waterways' commitment to guest safety, comfort and peace-of-mind while traveling with us. To that end, Avalon Waterways has established a worldwide Assurance program, with enhanced on-trip protocols and procedures, to ensure the health – and happiness – of guests throughout their travels with us.
It all starts with Avalon Waterways' Global Health & Safety Team, dedicated to ensuring that cleanliness of all operations exceeds today’s travel standards—from start to finish. The following areas address Avalon Waterways' commitment to providing a safe and clean environment for guests.
New embarkation procedures to offer guests a safe start to their journey, including:
- Social distancing throughout embarkation
- Mandatory health screening, including touch-free temperature-check, for all guests and crew
- Luggage disinfection prior to onboarding (with crew wearing gloves and masks)
FRESH AIR, INSIDE AND OUT:
In addition to Avalon Waterways' Open-Air staterooms, the air in the ships is not circulated between staterooms; only within an individual stateroom and mixed with fresh, outside air.
BLENDING CULTURAL PROXIMITY WITH SOCIAL DISTANCE:
New social distancing guidelines for guests throughout their Avalon cruise include:
- Reducing ship capacity as required for more space on board per guest
- Introducing more dining venues for more dining space per person
- Crew wearing masks for the duration of the cruise during any guest interaction
- Providing masks for guests to wear during any event where social proximity could become an issue, including disembarkation for excursions and safety drills
- Adjusting ratio of guides and coaches for excursions, as required
NEW TECHNOLOGY TO ENSURE CLEANLINESS:
- Electrostatic disinfecting systems
- UV disinfecting systems
TOUCHING HEARTS, NOT HANDS:
Reducing risk with hands-free service, including:
- More hand-sanitizing stations throughout the ship
- Required use of hand-sanitizing stations when leaving the ship, returning to the ship and entering dining venues as well as entering each public/common space
- Self-serve stations, including buffets, drinks, specialty coffees and snacks have been replaced with crew service
- All buffets (breakfast and lunch) replaced by a full range of á la carte menu choices
- Hourly (or more frequent) disinfection of all public areas
COMMITMENT TO THE CLEANEST SHIPS:
Enhanced cleaning procedures throughout each ship, including these additional steps that go above-and-beyond Avalon’s already strict procedures:
- Deep disinfection of each stateroom between cruises, including:
- Use of disinfectants and cleaning materials that meet the highest standards
- Soft goods in each stateroom (mattress, sofa, window coverings, chairs, etc.) disinfected between cruises
- Disinfection of all dining areas between meals
- Disinfection of all shared items like umbrellas, bicycles and other Adventure Center items
- Disinfection of all goods prior to loading on the ship
- Ongoing crew training in protective equipment use and hygiene
FOCUS ON CREW HEALTH:
Ensuring a healthy crew, including:
- Medical certificate required prior to start of contract
- Daily temperature checks
- Social distancing in crew living quarters
- Regular health screenings
Uniworld approaches every cruise with that same thorough diligence. Stringent security and sanitation protocols onboard our ships are nothing new to us. They not only remain top priorities but are being escalated as we face the current challenge. As more information is provided from Cruise Line International Association (CLIA) and the World Health Organization (WHO) Uniworld will look to adopt their health and safety recommendations and continue to update for your added peace of mind.
SAFETY & SECURITY PROTOCOLS
- All outside doors and access to the interior of the ships are locked when docked. Only registered guests can access the ship using a key card.
- All guests and luggage are verified against the manifest at check-in.
- Guests have 24/7 access to the front desk.
- Key card scanners with facial recognition are utilized at the gangway.
- Cameras are present at the entrance of the ship and in public areas, and are monitored by the reception staff.
- Trained security staff are posted at the gangway 24 hours a day.
- Ships are patrolled by trained staff 24/7.
- All deliveries are thoroughly inspected before being brought onboard.
HEALTH & SANITATION PROTOCOLS
PLEASE NOTE: While Uniworld believes these protocols to be the appropriate steps in protecting the wellbeing of guests and crew, they will continue to evaluate and make changes if they are deemed to be ineffective or if they negatively impact the wellbeing of guests and crew. Uniworld is actively reviewing additional health and sanitation steps and will add them to these protocols upon approval.
- All guests must complete a health screening prior to embarkation.
- Gloves, face masks and small bottles of hand sanitizer will be readily available for each guest.
- All guests and crew are required to sanitize their hands when entering public spaces, when coming back onboard the ship each day, and before each meal.
- Housekeeping staff disinfect all public area touch points and hot spots throughout the day, including all handrails and door handles.
- Fruits, cookies, chips, nuts, candies or other treats are now served to individual guests by the crew only. These treats are no longer available for self-service.
- Disinfected wipes are available throughout the ship, including at coffee stations and in the public toilets.
- Any onboard payments are processed using a contactless payment method and credit card machines will be wiped after each pin entry.
- All coffee table books, magazines and brochures have been removed from public use. Guests will be able to access these reading materials via their complimentary PressReader app on their mobile devices.
- Crew wash their hands frequently when handling guest luggage. Disembarkation luggage is kept separate from embarkation luggage to avoid cross-contamination.
- All meals are now served by culinary and waitstaff, with no self-service allowed during buffets.
- All restaurant dining now has reserved seating, with guests at the same table, with the same people, each day.
- To limit the total number of guests in a restaurant at a time, they have introduced two seating times for each meal.
- Items that are usually shared, like bread and butter, are now served to each person individually.
- All touch points, like chairs and salt and pepper shakers, are immediately disinfected after each seating.
STATEROOMS & SUITES:
- All staterooms and suites are thoroughly cleaned on a daily basis.
- All air-conditioning filters are cleaned and disinfected on each embarkation day before rooming takes place.
- Umbrellas are now only available in rooms for individual use, with no shared umbrella stands in public areas.
- In-room chocolate candy bowls are replaced at the end/beginning of each cruise.
- All buses are cleaned and wiped with disinfectant before each use.
- Face masks are also available on the buses, in addition to the staterooms.
- Vox boxes are sanitized prior to embarkation and after each excursion.
- All crew receives professional health and hygiene training (HACCP) by an external consultant before each ship begins its sailing season, including training on how to look for symptoms.
- All crew strictly adhere to social distancing requirements.
- All crew undergo regular health screenings and are quarantined immediately if symptoms are present.
- Hand sanitizer is readably available and mandated for use in all crew areas.
- Crew quarters, public and private, are sanitized regularly.
- All crew meals are served, with no self-service allowed.