Rhine Castles & Swiss Alps Cruise Land Forward
Rhine Castles & Swiss Alps Cruise Land Forward
Starts: Amsterdam, Netherlands on Thu, Jun 03, 2021
Ends: Lake Como, Italy on Tue, Jun 15, 2021
Please see below brochure cabin pricing
We have the best value and service on AmaWaterways River Cruises
$100 per person Military Service Member Savings
$100 per person Military Service Member Savings
Military discount is $100 [C$120] off per person, applicable to cruise only, and is valid on new bookings only. Must be active military or retired with valid military ID. Offer is combinable with other promotions and discounts available at the time of booking. Offer is limited to availability, capacity controlled and subject to change or termination without notice. Other restrictions apply. Registration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the State of California.
We Are Committed To:
When you book a trip with us, whether it's halfway around the world or in your own backyard, you can rest assured that you'll benefit from our vast experience in the travel industry, our award winning service, low prices, and client satisfaction.Read More
2 nights Amsterdam, 7-night cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, 2 nights in Lucerne and 2 nights in Zurich
- Day 1Thu, Jun 03, 2021ARRIVE IN AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS. Arrive in Amsterdam and check into your hotel.
- Day 2Fri, Jun 04, 2021AMSTERDAM. Follow your guide through the charming capital of the Netherlands, with its iconic meandering canals, bridges and distinctive architecture. (B)
- Day 3Sat, Jun 05, 2021AMSTERDAM ''' EMBARKATION. Check out of your hotel and, before transferring to your ship, visit Zaanse Schans, observing life as it used to be lived in the Netherlands. Authentic windmills, houses and shops were relocated to this picturesque area, creating a typical 17th- to 18th-century village. (B,D)
- Day 4Sun, Jun 06, 2021AMSTERDAM. There are 165 canals in Amsterdam, and you'''ll get enjoy some of them on your canal cruise. Later in the day, set sail out of Amsterdam. (B,L,D)
- Day 5Mon, Jun 07, 2021COLOGNE, GERMANY. Enjoy cruising to Cologne. Join a guided tour through the Old Town and explore the UNESCO-designated Cologne Cathedral, one of Germany'''s most revered Gothic masterpieces. Continue to the Cologne Rathaus, Germany'''s oldest town hall, plus see other local sights. For a different view, visit a local tavern to taste its famous K''lsch beer, only made in Cologne, and reibekuchen mit apfelmus, potato pancakes typically served with applesauce. Active adventurists will want to join a guided bike ride along the Rhine and through the historic Stadtgarten. (B,L,D)
- Day 6Tue, Jun 08, 2021RHINE GORGE - R''DESHEIM. Cruise through the captivating UNESCO-designated Rhine Gorge, the most stunningly beautiful stretch of the river before reaching the winemaking town of R''desheim. Join a wine tasting to discover the flavors of the town'''s iconic vineyards. Or drink up the stunning views by soaring high above the vineyards with a gondola ride to the Niederwalddenkmal. For a more active adventure, hike through the town'''s beautiful vineyards or join a guided bike tour along the scenic Rhine River. Later in the day, let Siegfried'''s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum charm you with its remarkable collection of self-playing musical instruments; or taste one of the town'''s special delights, R''desheimer coffee, ceremoniously made with brandy, coffee and whipped cream. (B,L,D)
- Day 7Wed, Jun 09, 2021LUDWIGSHAFEN. Ludwigshafen is your gateway to a choice of four excursions. Visit Heidelberg, the perfectly preserved medieval city nestled in the Neckar River Valley along Germany'''s Castle Road. Discover the iconic red sandstone Heidelberg Castle and Great Vat, an 18th-century, 49,000-gallon wine cask. For a more active adventure while in Heidelberg, join a guided hike up the Philosopher'''s Path, aptly named during the Romantic Period, and enjoy panoramic views of the city. Alternatively, you can visit one of Germany'''s oldest cities, Speyer, known for the largest Romanesque cathedral in Europe'''a UNESCO World Heritage Site'''and the medieval Old Gate, Altp''rtel. Or pedal along the river Neckar to the picturesque medieval city center of Ladenburg and enjoy some free time to explore the shops. (B,L,D)
- Day 8Thu, Jun 10, 2021STRASBOURG, FRANCE. Strasbourg offers flavors of both France and Germany because of its borderline location. Enjoy a panoramic tour past the stunning Parc de l'''Orangerie, the European Parliament and the Place de la R''publique before walking through its iconic '''La Petite France''' district, lifted straight from the pages of a fairytale. Wander through charming streets past the Cath''drale de N''tre Dame with its famous astronomical clock. Alternatively, take a guided bike ride through the city and Parc de l'''Orangerie. (B,L,D)
- Day 9Fri, Jun 11, 2021BASEL, SWITZERLAND. Enjoy getting to know Basel, Switzerland'''s third largest city. Long an important university, banking and trade center, Basel'''s glorious past is still evident in its medieval town hall, richly decorated market square and exquisite 18th-century patrician homes. Tour the city by foot or on a guided bike tour that takes you through three countries: Switzerland, France and Germany. Alternatively, go on a full-day excursion to Lucerne, or opt for one of the morning excursions and visit Lucerne in the afternoon. With either Lucerne excursion, you'''ll have the opportunity to see its Lion Monument ''' the figure of a dying lion carved into a hillside in memory of the Swiss Guards massacred during the French Revolution in 1792 ''' which Mark Twain described as '''the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world.''' You'''ll also see Lucerne'''s spectacular medieval walls and towers, dating back to the 13th century. (B,L,D)
- Day 10Sat, Jun 12, 2021BASEL, SWITZERLAND ''' DISEMBARKATION ''' LAKE COMO, ITALY. Disembark the ship and transfer to Lake Como, Italy, stopping in Lucerne, Switzerland along the way, where you will enjoy a brief tour and free time for lunch. Once in breathtaking Lake Como, nestled at the foot of the Alps, check into your hotel for the evening. (B)
- Day 11Sun, Jun 13, 2021LAKE COMO. Be treated to a walking tour of Lake Como, a former glacial lake and popular resort area for the rich and famous since Roman times. Gaze at the azure waters and impressive villas that line the lakeside from the hills above and perhaps recognize the scenery from such Hollywood blockbusters as Ocean'''s Twelve and Casino Royale. (B)
- Day 12Mon, Jun 14, 2021LAKE COMO - BELLAGIO. Let the wind tousle your hair as you board your boat for a scenic ride along Lake Como to its stunning pearl, Bellagio. This intimate village offers postcard-perfect views whether you choose to stroll along the lakeside or venture up hill to its cobbled streets. Browse the shops or sample the local fare at Bellagio'''s restaurants before returning to the boat. (B)
- Day 13Tue, Jun 15, 2021LAKE COMO ''' RETURN FLIGHT. Bid farewell to Lake Como and prepare for your flight home. (B)
- SPACIOUS STATEROOMS
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- AN ARRAY OF AMENITIES
- Wellness Activities with a dedicated Wellness Host leading various exercise classes as well as discussions on healthy eating and relaxation techniques, both on board and on shore.
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services and hair salon
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- AWARD-WINNING DINING
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef'''s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La Cha''ne des R''tisseurs Dinner, Captain's Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La Cha''ne des R''tisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- A WORLD OF EXPLORATION
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
- Land Program
- 2 nights hotel in Amsterdam at the Barbizon Palace or Grand Hotel Kransnapolsky Hotels (or similar)
- 3 nights hotel in Como at the Hilton Lake Como (or similar)
- Daily breakfast
- City tours and excursions
- Portage service
- Services of a professionally trained Cruise Manager throughout your cruise and land stay
- Transfers between hotel and ship are included with the purchase of cruise and land program; airport transfers are included with the purchase of airfare from AmaWaterways
Life on Board
Questions & Answers
Question: Will the day-by-day itinerary change?
Question: In what language is the river cruise conducted?
we traveled with another river cruise line several years ago and much prefer ama waterways.
Our cruise was excellent. A perfect choice for us.
This trip with AMAWaterways was beyond outstanding from start to finish. The ship, crew, meals, and excursions were all excellent and exceeded my expectations. I loved it.
We were very well pleased with AmaWaterways, so much so that we made a deposit on a future trip with them. The ship was beautifully decorated for the Christmas market cruise. The tour manager and the ship's crew were highly professional and friendly. There were daily activities both off and on the ship to keep us entertained. The food and drink were wonderful. The itinerary was exactly as described.
AMA Waterways is indeed a first class operator. The shipboard staff were consistantly very helpful and courteous. The food was outstanding, plentiful and with many alternative dishes. Everything was very clean. The activities for the ports/cities visited were well planned with alternatives depending on whether one wanted a routine walking tour, agressive tour or biking tours. We enjoyed concerts, local entertainment, and scenic tours with local guides that were very knowledgeable and spoke perfect English. We cannot say enough about the experience on the AMA Waterways ship. Every situation was anticipated and accommodated. We look forward to the oppportunity to take another cruise on AMA Waterways.