Enticing Douro Cruise Land Forward
Enticing Douro Cruise Land Forward
Starts: Lisbon, Portugal on Wed, Sep 15, 2021
Ends: Porto, Portugal on Sat, Sep 25, 2021
Please see below brochure cabin pricing
We have the best value and service on AmaWaterways River Cruises
$100 per person Military Service Member Savings
$100 per person Military Service Member Savings
Military discount is $100 [C$120] off per person, applicable to cruise only, and is valid on new bookings only. Must be active military or retired with valid military ID. Offer is combinable with other promotions and discounts available at the time of booking. Offer is limited to availability, capacity controlled and subject to change or termination without notice. Other restrictions apply. Registration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the State of California.
We Are Committed To:
When you book a trip with us, whether it's halfway around the world or in your own backyard, you can rest assured that you'll benefit from our vast experience in the travel industry, our award winning service, low prices, and client satisfaction.Read More
Spend 3 nights in Lisbon, followed by a 7-night roundtrip Porto cruise through the dramatic Douro River Valley
- Day 1Wed, Sep 15, 2021ARRIVE IN LISBON, PORTUGAL. Arrive in Lisbon and check in to your hotel.
- Day 2Thu, Sep 16, 2021LISBON. One of Europe'''s most beautiful cities, Lisbon, stretches across several hills along the Tagus River. On your escorted tour, you'''ll see Bel''m Tower, a fortified 4-story tower made of limestone, and visit the late Gothic Jer''nimos Monastery, the burial place of many Portuguese kings and heroes. You will also taste a typical Portuguese pastry, Past''is de Bel''m, before going to Discoveries Monument, built in honor of Portugal'''s greatest maritime explorers. (B)
- Day 3Fri, Sep 17, 2021LISBON ''' SINTRA. Enjoy a morning excursion to Serra de Sintra, one of the loveliest mountain villages in Portugal and a favorite summer residence of the Portuguese royal family for more than 500 years. Long an inspiration for artists and poets, Lord Byron once called it '''perhaps the most delightful village in Europe.''' High up on a rocky peak, you will tour Pena Palace, a wonderful fairytale castle dating back to Portugal'''s Romantic period. (B)
- Day 4Sat, Sep 18, 2021EMBARKATION ''' PORTO. Ride a motorcoach to Tomar and take in the Castle and Covent of the Order of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that is a brilliant work of 12th- to 16th-century architecture. Continue on to Porto and board the ship for your Enticing Douro cruise. (D)
- Day 5Sun, Sep 19, 2021R''GUA. Begin your day with a tour of the 18th-century Palacio Anadia, or Palace of the Counts, known for its beautiful interior and Baroque style. Inside the house, you'''ll see intricate panels of blue and white tiles throughout the rooms and a striking vaulted ceiling that retell the history behind the palace. (B,L,D)
- Day 6Mon, Sep 20, 2021R''GUA ''' PINH''O. Travel to picturesque Lamego, home to one of the most important pilgrimage sites in all of Portugal, where you'''ll go to the Nossa Senhora dos Rem''dios (Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies). The shrine features a staircase of nearly 700 steps, beautifully decorated with white and blue tiles, which the more active adventurer will want to climb on a guided hike. Concluding both tours, you will have the opportunity to sample local traditional specialties, such as b''las de Lamego, bread filled with smoked ham; presunto, a type of dry-cured ham; and Espumante, a Portuguese sparkling wine. You'''ll then go to the formal Episcopal Palace Museum. Later in the day, savor the flavors of Portugal'''s renowned fortified wine, vinho do porto, made exclusively in the Douro Valley. Head to a local quinta for your authentic Port-wine tasting experience and enjoy the sweet nectar of this fascinating region. (B,L,D)
- Day 7Tue, Sep 21, 2021VEGA DE TERR''N, SPAIN ''' SALAMANCA. Drive to Salamanca, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Built of golden sandstone, Salamanca is known as a '''living museum,''' and you will have an opportunity to step back in time to the Middle Ages during your escorted tour, which includes the city'''s elegant university buildings, the New Cathedral, the intriguingly decorated House of Shells and Plaza Mayor. (B,L,D)
- Day 8Wed, Sep 22, 2021BARCA D'''ALVA. Spend time soaking up the beauty of the Douro River as you cruise to Barca d'''Alva, where you will visit Castelo Rodrigo, a small fortified village perched high on a hilltop with centuries-old walls, steep narrow streets and fantastic views. You can also opt to hike up to the village should you wish a more active exploration. While here, taste some delicious locally grown produce. Be treated to an exclusive dinner at Quinta da Avessada, where you'''ll enjoy an authentic and traditional dining experience complete with entertainment. Quinta da Avessada is also a fascinating interactive museum commemorating the history and culture of wine in the Alto Douro region, so you'''ll have fun discovering all the various stages of wine production as well as doing plenty of tasting. (B,L,D)
- Day 9Thu, Sep 23, 2021ENTRE-OS-RIOS. Entre-os-Rios translates to '''between the rivers,''' and this small village is, quite appropriately, located at the confluence of the T''mega and Douro rivers. This tranquil village offers an authentic slice of Douro River life. In the afternoon, indulge in a traditional Portuguese lunch with your fellow travelers in Entre-os-Rios at a local quinta ''' a country estate ''' for a truly authentic culinary experience. (B,L,D)
- Day 10Fri, Sep 24, 2021PORTO. The colorful city of Porto blends the best of old and new, which you can discover on an escorted tour of the historic quarter, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, including the Cathedral, one of the city'''s oldest monuments; and the S''o Bento Railway Station, known for its blue and white tile panels depicting scenes from Portuguese history. You'''ll also enjoy a tasting of Port, Portugal'''s most renowned contribution to the world of wine. If you prefer to get more active, you can go on a guided hike and then enjoy a Port wine tasting. Enjoy a free afternoon to explore all of Porto'''s charms on your own. (B,L,D)
- Day 11Sat, Sep 25, 2021PORTO ''' DISEMBARKATION. Disembark the ship and prepare for your flight home. (B)
- SPACIOUS STATEROOMS
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with outside balconies)
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- AN ARRAY OF AMENITIES
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck with pool
- Fitness room
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- AWARD-WINNING DINING
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, Captain's Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Sip & Sail Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- A WORLD OF EXPLORATION
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Guided hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
- Land Program
- 3 nights hotel in Lisbon at the IntercontinentalLisbon (or similar), including city tour, RoyalSintra excursion with Pena National Palace visitand breakfast
- Transfer from the hotel to Porto via motorcoach
Life on Board
Questions & Answers
Question: Will the day-by-day itinerary change?
Question: In what language is the river cruise conducted?
Similar Itineraries Other Travelers Liked
|Sep 08, 2021||Viking||Viking Torgil||10||$4,799|
|Sep 08, 2021||AmaWaterways||AmaDouro||11||$5,099|
|Sep 11, 2021||Viking||Viking Hemming||10||$4,699|
|Sep 12, 2021||Viking||Viking Helgrim||10||$4,699|
|Sep 13, 2021||Viking||Viking Osfrid||10||$4,699|
Very nice experience. All handled in a professional and courteous manner.
we traveled with another river cruise line several years ago and much prefer ama waterways.
This was my first river cruise, and my only regret is that I've waited as long as I have to do this. The entire AmaWaterways crew -- from the ship captain all the way to the housekeeper -- were outstanding. The ship itself was beautifully decorated for Christmas, and the cabin was well organized and extremely comfortable. I appreciated the variety of available shore excursions, and the local guides were excellent. I'm looking forward to cruising again many times with AmaWaterways.
This was my second trip with Amawaterways and it was just as wonderful as the first. I have actually booked two more with them through Karen at Affordable Tours.
Trip was everything that was expected and more.
We booked the cruise and extensions which was 24 days. Evidentially, this trip could have been booked in segments which we were not aware of as the coming and going of various groups was very strange throughout. We started in Prague, always a great adventure. We were to go to Nuremberg, but due to low water were bused to the ship departure, Vilshofen, with options to hit the first two ports we missed by bus as excursions. Other folks joined from Vienna, a large group came onboard, and we were nearly at max going down the river. All but 18 people left at Budapest, including the Cruise Director. At that point we found out the second portion was a Wine Cruise with a different name, new director, and new passengers came aboard bringing us to capacity once again. So this became two cruises, actually, with totally different passengers on each except the original 18. As we continued for the extension, there were 40 of us until the end in Bucharest. One can see how this was rather disfunctional and more like a train ride with customers joining and departing continuously. Never knew who would be at dinner the next night. This may work from a business point, but very confusing to those that just purchased a single cruise with extensions and enjoyed meeting folks as we sailed down the river. Had I known there would be such a revolving door would have researched better and re-evaluated my choice. AMA, as always did a superb job, but the logistics of this whole adventure must have been a nightmare and stressful for the staff. Vacations need continuity.
We are very pleased with our trip.Morgan gave many options to pick from but, after discussion of the places we wanted to see she help us to narrow our choices.I would recommend Morgan to any of our friends how are planning to travel.
Could not improve on this fabulous tour
The AmaWaterway trip along the Douro - with extensions in Madrid and Lisbon -- provides a wonderful autumn interlude in Iberia. The program is especially strong for the one week spent on the Douro. The programs in Madrid and Lisbon leave a great deal of free time -- good if you can arrange your own meals and excursions, not so good if you like more arranged, especially after long flight to Europe.
I appreciated the tips for preparation before we travelled. The trip exceeded our expectations and was just wonderful! The onboard per person credit was useful for small purchases aboard ship and helped pay gratuities at the end of our cruise.
Everything was first class with lots of attention to detail and the pleasure of the passengers.
This was a vacation of a lifetime! Staff members were courteous, friendly and very helpful with every aspect of the trip. The sites were fabulous! Made many wonderful friends along the way! Would recommend this trip to anyone! Many beautiful memories were made!
Our cruise was excellent. A perfect choice for us.
Vince is my agent that tends to my wife and myself's travel desires. He is the most accommodating person with the company providing an extremely competitive competitive rate.
All the arrangements were made through Affordable Tours and everything went as planned.