The Rhine and Moselle - Southbound
The Rhine and Moselle - Southbound
Ship: MS Grace
Starts: Amsterdam, Netherlands on Wed, Oct 06, 2021
Ends: Basel, Switzerland on Wed, Oct 20, 2021
Please see below brochure cabin pricing
We have the best value and service on Tauck River Cruises
We Are Committed To:
When you book a trip with us, whether it's halfway around the world or in your own backyard, you can rest assured that you'll benefit from our vast experience in the travel industry, our award winning service and client satisfaction.Read More
So many delights await you along the enchanting Moselle and Rhine featuring a 14-night cruise between Basel and Amsterdam aboard ms Grace .From the Netherlands to Switzerland, through Germany, France and Luxembourg, see the marriage of French and German culture in Strasbourg; mingle with jet setters in Baden-Baden; check out the ancient university town of Heidelberg and medieval masterpieces like Bernkastel, Trier and Cochem. Pay tribute to those who fell in the Battle of the Bulge at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial; get a true taste of Europe with regional specialties, local wines and folk traditions; and enjoy an exclusive special dinner at a castle in Germany.
- Day 1Amsterdam, NetherlandsWed, Oct 06, 2021Tour begins: 4:00 PM, Amsterdam. A transfer is included from Amsterdam’s Schiphol International Airport or Centraal Station directly to your riverboat. Your cruise on the Moselle and Rhine rivers begins when all guests check in at 4:00 PM. After a Discovery briefing, cocktail hour and a welcome dinner aboard ship, enjoy a musical performance in the lounge. Welkom aan boord!
- Day 2Amsterdam, NetherlandsThu, Oct 07, 2021
Enjoy a choice of excursions in Amsterdam today – your first choice is a visit to the famed Rijksmuseum, home to one of the world’s most important collections of artwork by the Dutch Masters. Another option is a guided tour through the Dutch countryside with a visit to a tulip and vegetable nursery. Your final choice is a foodie walking tour through Amsterdam, sampling some of the delicious local food and visiting a few of the area's hidden gem restaurants. You may return to the ship for lunch or remain in town. Following an afternoon at leisure, join us tonight for a Welcome Briefing followed by dinner in the Compass Rose followed by a special performance in the Panorama Lounge.
- Day 3De Hoge Veluwe, HollandFri, Oct 08, 2021
Your riverboat arrives in Nijmegen for a shore excursion to Arnhem and the 5,500-hectare De Hoge Veluwe National Park, home to many endangered plant and animal species. In the midst of this natural glory, you’ll find the inspiring Kröller-Müller Museum, featuring works of such luminaries as Pablo Picasso, Georges Seurat and Vincent van Gogh, along with Europe’s largest sculpture garden. Your choice today is a guided visit to this renowned art institution, or a bicycle excursion through beautiful De Hoge Veluwe National Park. Rejoin the ship for lunch, followed by a delightful afternoon and evening of cruising along the Rhine.
- Day 4Sat, Oct 09, 2021A day of cruising awaits you today ahead of a very special evening. This evening, you're off to Engelskirchen for a visit to its neighboring castle, Schloss Ehreshoven. Built in the 14th Century and later expanded in the style of a grand Baroque manor house, the estate is surrounded by a moat, landscaped gardens, and a castle park. Schloss Ehreshoven is frequently used as a film location but this evening it’s the elegant setting for a Tauck Exclusive cocktail reception and dinner with entertainment. Return to the ship late tonight to continue your cruise.
- Day 5Köln, GermanySun, Oct 10, 2021
Spend the morning cruising the Rhine, and arrive this afternoon in the historic German city of Köln (Cologne), where you'll enjoy a city tour with a local guide including the Old Town before returning to the ship for lunch and free time onboard.
- Day 6Cochem, GermanyMon, Oct 11, 2021Your day begins with an introduction to the Moselle River, where your riverboat diverges from the Rhine, en route to Cochem. Stepping ashore in this Moselle Valley town is like stepping into the pages of a medieval fairy tale; tour picture-perfect 1,000-year-old Reichsburg Castle, which looks down on Cochem's quaint market square. Enjoy a relaxing morning aboard the riverboat before your exploration of this jewel of a town – complete with a Baroque town hall and ancient town gates – breathing in its historic charm and ambiance. Explore Cochem either by bike ride or on a guided walking tour ending at the family-owned Schlagkamp Wine Museum, where you'll learn about the area's centuries-old winemaking traditions with a tasting of the excellent locally produced vintages before returning to the riverboat.
- Day 7Luxembourg City, LuxembourgTue, Oct 12, 2021Dock in Traben-Trarbach this morning for a journey to the tiny Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. A walking tour of its well-preserved old town reveals the Cathedral, Parliament, the Palace of the Grand Duke, and centuries-old battlements that are today a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Pay a poignant visit to the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial; over 5,000 American casualties of World War II's Battle of the Bulge lie buried here, as does General George S. Patton. Later, arrive in the charming spa town of Traben-Trarbach. You have the choice of taking a walking tour of this lovely town, or joining us for a guided bicycle ride along the Moselle River before returning to the ship for the evening.
- Day 8Trier, GermanyWed, Oct 13, 2021On an excursion to Trier, enjoy a guided walking tour where you'll discover an ancient city that lays claim as being one of the oldest in Germany – during a walking tour that includes both medieval treasures and sites dating back to Roman times, from a 2nd-century city gate and the 4th-century basilica to a 16th-century fountain featuring images of St. Peter. For those wanting to see the vineyards throughout this region up-close, you may choose a full-day biking excursion along the Moselle River to charming Bernkastel at the hub of the Middle Moselle chock full of half-timber homes and wine taverns. Reboard your riverboat in Traben-Trarbach for an afternoon of classic river cruising, watching the scenery slip by from the Sun Deck as your riverboat glides along the Moselle; enjoy dinner aboard ship tonight.
- Day 9Thu, Oct 14, 2021A wonderful day of cruising along the Moselle awaits today. Following dinner this evening, your ship arrives in the town of Koblenz, where you may join your Tauck Director on a walk into town.
- Day 10Boppard, GermanyFri, Oct 15, 2021Tauck's Rhine-Moselle river cruise departs the Moselle today and returns to the Rhine, arriving in Boppard for your choice of an orientation tour and free time, or a two-hour bicycling excursion along the Rhine. Later, while your riverboat glides through the Middle Rhine Valley, listen to the legend of the Lorelei and see for yourself why this beautiful part of the river – a UNESCO World Heritage Site – has inspired composers, writers and artists for centuries. Have lunch onboard, and gain insights on the Lorelei Valley and legends associated with the many castles you'll pass on your way through the region from your Tauck Director. Enjoy dinner aboard ship tonight.
- Day 11Heidelberg, GermanySat, Oct 16, 2021Enjoy a day in the historic college town of Heidelberg, home to one of the oldest universities in Europe as well as the setting for the famous operetta, The Student Prince, or visit a centuries-old family winery. In Heidelberg, take a walking tour for a close-up look at the Old Town, and ride a funicular up to the imposing Heidelberger Schloss, perched 300 feet above the city; view its examples of medieval, Renaissance and Baroque architecture, and enjoy lunch at a local restaurant. Perhaps you’ll be as captivated by this lovely old city as America’s first travel writer, Mark Twain, was when he spent three months here with his family. Enjoy lunch at a local brewery in the heart of the old town with free time to explore before returning to the ship for an evening of cruising.
- Day 12Baden-Baden, GermanySun, Oct 17, 2021
Stuttgart enjoys a reputation as an industrial powerhouse; a cradle of both the automobile and motorcycle industries in the 19th century, it’s the corporate headquarters of both Porsche and Mercedes-Benz. But the city also possesses a charming, small-town atmosphere, tucked into an inviting urban landscape of historic sites, lakes, parks, gardens, vineyards and forests. Your excursion features a walking tour of the city’s historic center, where you’ll see the restored Altes Schloss (Old Castle), most of which dates to the 15th century, and its inner courtyard; the palatial 18th-century Neues Schloss (New Castle), completely rebuilt after nearly being burned to the ground during WWII. Later, you’ll explore the Porsche Museum – a dazzling ultramodern showcase featuring more than 80 vehicles on display, ranging from some of designer Ferdinand Porsche’s earliest models to concept cars, prototypes and Porsches of the present, in exhibits that chronicle the history of the legendary car company. As an alternate option, travel by coach to the beautiful spa town of Baden-Baden where you'll discover that the elegant Belle Èpoque period is still alive and well. For many generations, wealthy folks have flocked here to see and be seen, and to take the healing thermal waters for which the town is famous. Join us on a walking tour and time spent on your own discovering some of the town's treasures ranging from the ruins of Roman baths to the ornate, 250-year-old Belle Èpoque casino, the Kurhaus, which movie star Marlene Dietrich once described as "the most beautiful casino in the world." You'll also have an optional opportunity to visit the Caracalla Spa in town before returning to the riverboat for the evening.
- Day 13Strasbourg, FranceMon, Oct 18, 2021
Your Rhine cruise continues today to stunning Strasbourg, France – the seat of the European Council, the European Parliament and the European Court of Human Rights, as well as the capital of the historic Alsace region. You’ll see the Parliament buildings and step back in time to discover La Petite France, noted for its medieval half-timbered houses set beside lovely canals, on your choice of a walking tour or a small group excursion off the beaten path to unique local shops. While visiting the famous Gothic Cathédrale de Notre-Dame de Strasbourg, you’ll be inspired by the graceful, expressive statuary of the Pilier des Anges (Pillar of Angels), and the magnificent stained glass windows. Spend free time this afternoon exploring the "crossroads of Europe" as you wish before returning to the riverboat for a local folkloric performance before dinner.
- Day 14Basel, SwitzerlandTue, Oct 19, 2021
The Tauck Difference in European river cruising is all about where you go, what you do, and who you meet on your shore excursions – and today, you have a choice! First choice is spending the day in Basel, a beautiful city on the banks of the Rhine River. You'll get a good overview on a brief sightseeing tour that is followed by a walking tour in the Old Town – see the bright-red Rathaus, Basel’s Town Hall. After lunch, explore more of one of Europe’s most attractive and best-preserved Old Towns on your own, perhaps taking in one of the city’s 40 museums. Your second choice is a trip to the town of Schaffhausen for an excursion to the Rhine Falls, the largest plain waterfall in Europe, which you'll experience on a boat ride. Return to the ship in Basel; this evening, bid the captain and crew a fond adieu at the ship's farewell reception followed by dinner aboard the riverboat as your Rhine cruise concludes.
- Day 15Basel, SwitzerlandWed, Oct 20, 2021
Tour ends: Basel. Fly home anytime. Upon disembarking the riverboat (no later than 9:00 AM), a transfer is included from ms Inspire or ms Grace to Basel-Mulhouse International Airport or Basel's SBB train station; please allow 3 hours for flight check-in. We wish you a safe and pleasant journey home.
So many delights await you along the enchanting Moselle and Rhine featuring a 14-night cruise between Basel and Amsterdam aboard ms Grace.From the Netherlands to Switzerland, through Germany, France and Luxembourg, see the marriage of French and German culture in Strasbourg; mingle with jet setters in Baden-Baden; check out the ancient university town of Heidelberg and medieval masterpieces like Bernkastel, Trier and Cochem. Pay tribute to those who fell in the Battle of the Bulge at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial; get a true taste of Europe with regional specialties, local wines and folk traditions; and enjoy an exclusive special dinner at a castle in Germany.
- TAUCK EXCLUSIVE - An exclusive dinner at historic Schloss Ehreshoven in Germany
- All gratuities to ship staff, drivers, local guides, Tauck Directors and Tauck Cruise Director
- Tauck's private shore excursions and distinctive inclusions valued at $2,290
- Insider tour of the Gothic-Renaissance Heidelberger Schloss and lunch at a popular local restaurant
- Choices of bicycle excursions in Boppard and Arnhem's De Hoge Veluwe National Park
- Wine tasting at a family-owned winery in Cochem
- A scenic cruise along the canals of Amsterdam
Life on Board
Questions & Answers
Question: Will the day-by-day itinerary change?
Question: In what language is the river cruise conducted?
Tauck is absolutely top notch! They treated us like absolute Royalty on the ship. I would without a doubt highly recommend Tauck for your next vacation.
We love Tauck, they are so professional and handle all the "little" details.