Romantic Rhine with Mount Pilatus, 1 Night in Lucerne & 3 Nights in Lake Como (Southbound) 2020
Romantic Rhine with Mount Pilatus, 1 Night in Lucerne & 3 Nights in Lake Como (Southbound) 2020
Operator: Avalon Waterways
Ship: Tranquility II
Starts: Amsterdam, Netherlands on Wed, Nov 04, 2020
Ends: Amsterdam, Netherlands on Sun, Nov 15, 2020
Why Pay Retail? Call us or click for a quick quote and save money!
We have Low Prices on Avalon Waterways (Globus) - Guaranteed!
Fly Free (plus save $2000 per couple) on Europe river cruises
Fly Free (plus save $2000 per couple) on Europe river cruises
*Book a select 2020 Avalon Waterways Europe river cruise to receive free round-trip economy class trans-Atlantic air from ATL, BOS, BWI, CHS, CLE, CLT, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, IAD, IAH, JFK, LAX, MCI, MIA, MCO, MSP, OKC, ORD, PDX, PHL, PHX, PIT, RDU, SAN, SEA, SFO, SLC, STL, TPA. Other gateway cities available from $200 to $1,075/person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees). Free air offer is based on lowest-priced economy class Flex airfare available for booking at time of reservation and scheduled to coincide with cruise itinerary; pre-assigned airline seats are limited and may not be available on all air segments. Alternate schedules may be available at an additional cost. Quotes available online or by calling a Travel Professional. Limited to new bookings for US originating travelers and economy class Flex air tickets; must be booked & under deposit between February 6 - November 9, 2020. A $550 non-refundable deposit is due at time of booking. Offer does not apply to instant purchase air, Group Air (groups of 10 or more) and group air contracts. Offer is combinable only with the Welcome Back Credit and the $1000pp land promo. Promotional discounts do not carry forward on voluntarily changed air bookings; other promotions at time of change may be available. Once ticketed, air reservations subject to change/cancellation penalties of between $300 per ticket and 100% of ticket value. Changes to ticketed air reservations (including itineraries involving free round-trip trans-Atlantic air) also subject to airfare differentials between originally ticketed air itinerary and re-ticketed air itinerary. Additional airline baggage fees may apply; visit www.iflybags.com for details. Air schedules are available approximately 330 days prior to return travel date. Flight schedules, routings and air carriers are at the discretion of Globus family of brands. Additional restrictions apply; see Travel Terms for details. Air tickets are non-commissionable. Offer is capacity controlled and may be withdrawn at any time. Offer available from participating GFOB offices only. CST#2017032-20. Consumers may choose to save $4000/couple instead of receiving Free Air plus $2000/couple offer . Call your travel agent or Avalon Waterways for more information (restrictions apply). PRMYHC
Up to $500 Welcome Back Credit for Repeat Travelers
Up to $500 Welcome Back Credit for Repeat Travelers
- Spend $2499 or less and receive $100 credit
- Spend $2500 - $3499 and receive $150 credit
- Spend $3500 - $4499 and receive $200 credit
- Spend $4500 & Over and receive $250 credit
The Welcome Back Credit will be awarded upon completion of Globus family of brands vacations from 2019 onward. Credit amount can only be applied to the land/cruise or cruise only portion of a new Globus family of brands vacation (excluding Escapes by Globus, 2020 Oberammergau, select Cosmos tours, Monograms City Getaways, and Custom/Charter vacations). Credit amount is per person and must be redeemed for a future vacation with a deposit within 2 years from date of credit issue. Bookings can be made by contacting your preferred travel agent. Passenger name or past invoice number is required to redeem the credit. Combinable with all applicable consumer promotions except those with any Globus family of brands special discount programs of the vacation price. Credit is not redeemable for cash, non-refundable deposit, airfare, transfers, travel insurance, prepaid gratuities, pre/post nights, or optional excursions and is non-transferrable. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Valid for all participating Globus family of brands offices. Additional restrictions may apply.
We Are Committed To:
When you book a trip with us, whether it's halfway around the world or in your own backyard, you can rest assured that you'll benefit from our vast experience in the travel industry, our award winning service and client satisfaction.Read More
Book With Flexibility
- Peace of Mind
Complimentary "Peace of Mind" Travel Plan for 2021 trips
- Change Destination / Vacation
Change to a different destination or vacation with the Globus Family of Brands.
- Change Dates
Choose new departure dates if your plans change.
- Great Service
Award-winning service, low prices, client satisfaction
One of Europe’s most legendary rivers awaits you on this exciting journey along the Rhine River, which takes you across Germany—and touches in Holland, France, and Switzerland!This magnificent river cruise begins in the ever popular, modern city of Amsterdam, Holland. The best way to see the treasures of this 700-year-old city is on a canal cruise along the elegant grachten lined with homes dating back to the city’s “Golden Age.” Cologne, Germany—a 2,000 year-old city known for its gothic archi-tecture—will be an exciting stop with its famous twin-spired cathedral and Old Town with many shops, cafés, and taverns. Pass through the dramatic Rhine Gorge—the most beautiful stretch of the Rhine River where ancient castles stand on cliffs 400 feet above the water. And nearby, in the charming wine town of Rüdes-heim, visit the unique Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum. Continue your Rhine river cruise to Mainz for a guided walk and visit to the captivating Gutenberg Museum, or take an excursion to Heidelberg to visit the ruins of its red-walled castle. In Strasbourg, France, you’ll be amazed by the red-sandstone gothic cathedral with ancient murals and fascinating astronomical clock. Also, stroll through the lovely La Petite France district with its quaint shops, delightful bistros, and peaceful waterfront promenade.Visit Breisach, Germany, the gateway to Germany’s Black Forest—an area of unrivaled natural beauty—best known for Black Forest ham, cherry cake, and the cuckoo clock.Disembark your river cruise ship in Basel and join the Monograms portion of your vacation starting with a special excursion up Mount Pilatus for spectacular Alpine panoramas and a guided walking tour to explore lovely Lucerne. Transfer by high-speed train to Como, where an included guided walking tour features the charming historic district, the gothic Town Hall, and the imposing Duomo. Enjoy a relaxing boat ride on Lake Como to renowned Bellagio with its centuries-old buildings, cobblestone lanes, and charming shops. In your free time, you might like to travel to fashionable Milan, or take the funicular to the village of Brunate—your Local Host® can help you decide how to make this fabulous vacation just perfect for you!
- Day 1AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (EMBARKATION)Wed, Nov 04, 2020Welcome to Holland. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for BoardingFlights into Amsterdam must arrive by 3:30 pm. Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm. Your day in Amsterdam is free to explore at your leisure.During tulip season, you may take a Guided Optional Excursion to Keukenhof gardens—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils and hyacinths, as well as other bulbs, planted each year.Outside of tulip season, join a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses. OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM(D)
- Day 2AMSTERDAMThu, Nov 05, 2020Canals of Colorful AmsterdamCLASSIC Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam on a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.” You may like to join a Guided Optional Excursion to Muiderslot Castle, or a Guided Optional Biking Excursion to the Dutch countryside. Take some free time to explore Amsterdam’s colorful streets and canal houses, galleries, and shops. AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO COLOGNE(B,L,D)
- Day 3COLOGNE, GERMANYFri, Nov 06, 2020Prost! Celebrate in the RhinelandCLASSIC Take a Guided City Walk of Cologne—with its soaring twin-steepled gothic cathedral, OR:DISCOVERY Choose a Guided Walking Tour of Cologne’s important Jewish heritage sites.Don’t miss the chance to enjoy free time over a glass of Kölsch pale lager—locally brewed for over 100 years! Later local musicians will join us on board for live entertainment. OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO KOBLENZ(B,L,D)
- Day 4KOBLENZ—RHINE GORGESat, Nov 07, 2020Travel Through 2000 Years of Monumental History Enjoy free time in Koblenz this morning before sailing through the Rhine Gorge to Rüdesheim. Sail past the legendary rock of the Lorelei—where the siren of mythology sang songs to lure ill-fated sailors.RÜDESHEIM Eat, Drink, and Be Merry in Wine CountryDISCOVERY Take a Guided Tour of the incredible Mechanical Music Museum for a one-of-a-kind instrumental experience; based on your departure enjoy a local special treat.Enjoy live entertainment on board your ship this evening. OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN RÜDESHEIM(B,L,D)
- Day 5MAINZ. EXCURSION TO HEIDELBERGSun, Nov 08, 2020Printing Halls, Castle Walls, and the World’s Biggest Barrel of WineCLASSIC Enjoy a Guided City Walk, including a visit to the Gutenberg Museum to see the captivating history of printing, OR:CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnificent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel,” OR: ACTIVE Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Hike up Philosophers’ Way for an inspiring view of the city below.EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO STRASBOURG (B,L,D)
- Day 6STRASBOURG, FRANCEMon, Nov 09, 2020Gothic Giants, Petite France, and Varietal VintagesCLASSIC Join a City Sightseeing Tour, including Strasbourg’s s gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District.You may also choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to the historic Maginot Line—an impressive installation of pre-WWII defensive fortifications designed to protect the eastern border of France, or visit Alsace’s wine country today.Alternatively, take some free time in Strasbourg to visit a museum, or stroll across the city center. EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO BREISACH(B,L,D)
- Day 7BREISACH, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO BLACK FORESTTue, Nov 10, 2020History, Artistry, and the Beautiful Black Forest DISCOVERY Join a full-day Guided Tour to the magical Black Forest to experience the Vogtsbauernohf open-air-museum, visit an authentic water mill, and see a traditional butter-making demonstration, OR: DISCOVERY Visit to Badische Winzerkeller, the largest German wine producer in Europe. Discover Germany’s southernmost wine country in Baden—ideally situated between the hills of the Black Forest and the Rhine River. Learn about the vintners’ process in the vineyards here, and enjoy a wine tasting.You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the charming village of Colmar in the morning, with its half-timbered medieval and early renaissance buildings. EVENING CRUISE TO STRASBOURG(B,L,D)
- Day 8BASEL, SWITZERLAND (DISEMBARKATION)—MOUNT PILATUS—LUCERNEWed, Nov 11, 2020Disembark your Avalon ship and join the Monograms portion of your vacation. Enjoy a special highlight excursion to Mount Pilatus. Journey almost 7,000 ft. (2,132 m) up for spectacular views over central Switzerland (in case of bad weather, visit the Swiss Transport Museum instead). Later join a guided walking tour to explore beautiful Lucerne which includes Thorwaldsen’s poignant Lion Monument and the famous Chapel Bridge.(B)
- Day 9LUCERNE—LAKE COMO, ITALYThu, Nov 12, 2020Travel by high-speed train (first class) to Como, the city on the lake that bears its name. Your Local Host will be waiting to greet you and offer recommendations so you can make the most of your time in this well-known city. Your guided walking tour includes the charming historic center; the Broletto (Town Hall) with its fascinating gothic façade; and the imposing, marble-clad Duomo.(B)
- Day 10LAKE COMOFri, Nov 13, 2020Experience a boat ride on Lake Como for panoramas of stunning mountain scenery and luxury lakeside villas. Disembark at picturesque Bellagio for exploration on your own returning by boat to Como.(B)
- Day 11LAKE COMOSat, Nov 14, 2020Your Local Host will have many suggestions for your day at leisure.(B)
- Day 12LAKE COMOSun, Nov 15, 2020Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (B)
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
- Due to “Sail Amsterdam” departures August 8 & August 11 will start in Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam with modifications to the itinerary.
Day 1 Amsterdam (Embarkation): onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Amsterdam: canal cruise
Day 3 Cologne: choice of Cologne highlights walking tour, or Jewish Heritage walking tour
Day 4 Koblenz—Rhine Gorge—Rüdesheim: free time in Koblenz; scenic cruise through the Rhine Gorge; visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum in Rüdesheim
Day 5 Mainz. Excursion to Heidelberg: choice of guided walk, visit the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz, or guided tour of Heidelberg Castle, see the Great Vat, or hike up Philosophers’ Way
Day 6 Strasbourg: guided sightseeing, visit La Petite France district and the gothic cathedral
Day 7 Breisach: choice of excursion to Black Forest, or visit to Badische Winzerkeller
Day 8 Basel (Disembarkation)—Mount Pilatus—Lucerne: excursion to Mount Pilatus (in case of bad weather, visit the Swiss Transport Museum instead), guided walking tour in Lucerne with the Lion Monument and Chapel Bridge
Day 9 Lucerne—Lake Como: transfer by high speed train (first class) to Lake Como; guided walking tour
Day 10 Lake Como: boat ride on Lake Como to Bellagio
Day 11 Lake Como: full day at leisure
Day 12 Lake Como: your vacation ends with breakfast this morning
Gratuities to Local Guides & excursion drivers are included on Avalon portion only.
Avalon offers the opportunity for solo travelers to sail with no single supplement (subject to availability).
Please call for single accommodation price. Triples not available.
Extra nights per person in Amsterdam:
in single room from $221 to $401, in twin room from $140 to $237
Extra nights per person in Como:
in single room from $205 to $447,in twin room from $129 to $250
All prices per person based on double occupancy. Cruise price based on Category E in a deluxe outside stateroom on Indigo Deck. See below for upgrade pricing.
Hygiene and Safety Protocols for Avalon Waterways
Today's world has changed, but what remains certain is Avalon Waterways' commitment to guest safety, comfort and peace-of-mind while traveling with us. To that end, Avalon Waterways has established a worldwide Assurance program, with enhanced on-trip protocols and procedures, to ensure the health – and happiness – of guests throughout their travels with us.
It all starts with Avalon Waterways' Global Health & Safety Team, dedicated to ensuring that cleanliness of all operations exceeds today’s travel standards—from start to finish. The following areas address Avalon Waterways' commitment to providing a safe and clean environment for guests.
New embarkation procedures to offer guests a safe start to their journey, including:
- Social distancing throughout embarkation
- Mandatory health screening, including touch-free temperature-check, for all guests and crew
- Luggage disinfection prior to onboarding (with crew wearing gloves and masks)
FRESH AIR, INSIDE AND OUT:
In addition to Avalon Waterways' Open-Air staterooms, the air in the ships is not circulated between staterooms; only within an individual stateroom and mixed with fresh, outside air.
BLENDING CULTURAL PROXIMITY WITH SOCIAL DISTANCE:
New social distancing guidelines for guests throughout their Avalon cruise include:
- Reducing ship capacity as required for more space on board per guest
- Introducing more dining venues for more dining space per person
- Crew wearing masks for the duration of the cruise during any guest interaction
- Providing masks for guests to wear during any event where social proximity could become an issue, including disembarkation for excursions and safety drills
- Adjusting ratio of guides and coaches for excursions, as required
NEW TECHNOLOGY TO ENSURE CLEANLINESS:
- Electrostatic disinfecting systems
- UV disinfecting systems
TOUCHING HEARTS, NOT HANDS:
Reducing risk with hands-free service, including:
- More hand-sanitizing stations throughout the ship
- Required use of hand-sanitizing stations when leaving the ship, returning to the ship and entering dining venues as well as entering each public/common space
- Self-serve stations, including buffets, drinks, specialty coffees and snacks have been replaced with crew service
- All buffets (breakfast and lunch) replaced by a full range of á la carte menu choices
- Hourly (or more frequent) disinfection of all public areas
COMMITMENT TO THE CLEANEST SHIPS:
Enhanced cleaning procedures throughout each ship, including these additional steps that go above-and-beyond Avalon’s already strict procedures:
- Deep disinfection of each stateroom between cruises, including:
- Use of disinfectants and cleaning materials that meet the highest standards
- Soft goods in each stateroom (mattress, sofa, window coverings, chairs, etc.) disinfected between cruises
- Disinfection of all dining areas between meals
- Disinfection of all shared items like umbrellas, bicycles and other Adventure Center items
- Disinfection of all goods prior to loading on the ship
- Ongoing crew training in protective equipment use and hygiene
FOCUS ON CREW HEALTH:
Ensuring a healthy crew, including:
- Medical certificate required prior to start of contract
- Daily temperature checks
- Social distancing in crew living quarters
- Regular health screenings
Life on Board
Questions & Answers
Question: Will the day-by-day itinerary change?
Question: In what language is the river cruise conducted?
Similar Itineraries Other Travelers Liked
|Nov 04, 2020||Avalon Waterways||Tranquility II||14||$4,299|
|Nov 04, 2020||Avalon Waterways||Tranquility II||10||$3,028|
|Nov 04, 2020||Avalon Waterways||Tranquility II||12||$3,721|
|Nov 06, 2020||AmaWaterways||AmaMora||14||$5,519|
|Nov 07, 2020||AmaWaterways||AmaKristina||14||$5,519|
Very enjoyable, relaxing experience. The accommodations, excursions, and service were exceptionally good.
I had a nice surprise of an upgraded cabin on the Avalon Tranquility II, done by the cruise lines. Very enjoyable to have a cabin with full window wall.
Despite the problem of the low water level of the Rhine in parts, Avalon went out of its way to provide us with wonderful shore accommodations and all the excursions we were looking forward to enjoying. They couldn't have been more solicitous of our situation. They are to be highly commended for the way the company handled the situation, and I would recommend this company to anyone looking to book a river cruise. They go above and beyond in caring for their passengers!
Was a great trip. Enjoyed every minute. We saw a lot of beautiful sites and cities.
Alex was very competent and professional. Whenever we had a question she would answer right away . We would definitely recommend her!
Wonderful trip, enjoyed every moment.
Excellent service. Once of a life time experience but wish that there extra days in smaller towns like Miltenberg etc to enjoy the culture of the place.
The entire cruise was wonderful. It was our first experience and it couldn't have been better. The staff was professional, courteous, fun and helpful. All the tours were well organized and very informative.
Avalon Waterways is a great company to travel with. They are efficient and have a variety of tours that you take. Very friendly people. Would highly recommend them.
We had a bad experience in that our room was flooded on the second day, thus we could not stay on the boat. However Avalon put us up in hotels and bussed us each day to the ship. They paid all of the expenses including a refund of our our cruise costs. We were able to do almost all of the same things that the other people on the cruise did. They were very upfront and tried to make the trip acceptable.It was unfortunate but it worked out pretty well for us.
There could have been more flexibility in the off-boat included tours. The trip felt very regimented. Up by 6:30/7:00 for breakfast, off the boat by 8:30 for the morning tour, back to boat for lunch, off the boat by 1:00/1:30 for afternoon tour, back to boat for some minor down time before dinner, then basically off to your stateroom for sleep. If you wanted some time for relaxation you felt like you were going to be missing out on something.
I would book another trip with Avalon but would want a different experience. We are in our mid 50's and the schedule was too early and too scheduled. Would like to have some meals off the boat.
Avalon portion was wonderful! Monogram portion was less than satisfactory!
We were very impressed with Avalon Waterways. It was top-notch, and we plan to travel with them again in the future.
The Avalon Rhine River cruise was phenomenal - first class in all ways. The Tranquility II ship was new and immaculate, and the cruise director and crew were first rate, taking care of our every need! The excursions along the cruise were outstanding with the local guides all very pleasant and knowledgeable. Avalon, as a cruise provider, was on par with the Insight land tour provider, and I expect my wife and I will return to Avalon in the future for another cruise or two in coming years!
Everything about this trip was top notch and definitely met and exceeded our expectations.
It was interesting to visit with the families in Croatia & the extra income helped them,I suspect,as well as helping us learn about the true reality of their lives.
The Avalon Panorama was a beautiful new ship. The captain, crew, restaurant and bar personnel were extremely friendly and made you feel welcome.
I would highly recommend Affordable Tours to anyone and everyone! We had the trip of a lifetime! The local guides at each destination were extremely knowledgeable! Our tour guide was great! He made sure everything went perfectly and everyone's needs were met. The staff on the ship were so friendly and personable. We felt like we were one big family by the end of the trip.
we all had a wonderful time. Our trip went smoothly
Our Avalon River Cruise was superior . From the cruise director to the wait staff, all was excellent. The staff had fun so the passengers did as well. We can\'t say enough about our cruise director and our Maitre\' D. These individuals went above and beyond to make our vacation very special!