The Blue Danube Discovery 2020
The Blue Danube Discovery 2020
Operator: Avalon Waterways
Ship: Artistry II
Starts: Budapest, Hungary on Sun, Nov 01, 2020
Ends: Budapest, Hungary on Sun, Nov 08, 2020
Why Pay Retail? Call us or click for a quick quote and save money!
We have Low Prices on Avalon Waterways (Globus) - Guaranteed!
Up to $500 Welcome Back Credit for Repeat Travelers
Up to $500 Welcome Back Credit for Repeat Travelers
- Spend $2499 or less and receive $100 credit
- Spend $2500 - $3499 and receive $150 credit
- Spend $3500 - $4499 and receive $200 credit
- Spend $4500 & Over and receive $250 credit
The Welcome Back Credit will be awarded upon completion of Globus family of brands vacations from 2019 onward. Credit amount can only be applied to the land/cruise or cruise only portion of a new Globus family of brands vacation (excluding Escapes by Globus, 2020 Oberammergau, select Cosmos tours, Monograms City Getaways, and Custom/Charter vacations). Credit amount is per person and must be redeemed for a future vacation with a deposit within 2 years from date of credit issue. Bookings can be made by contacting your preferred travel agent. Passenger name or past invoice number is required to redeem the credit. Combinable with all applicable consumer promotions except those with any Globus family of brands special discount programs of the vacation price. Credit is not redeemable for cash, non-refundable deposit, airfare, transfers, travel insurance, prepaid gratuities, pre/post nights, or optional excursions and is non-transferrable. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Valid for all participating Globus family of brands offices. Additional restrictions may apply.
We Are Committed To:
When you book a trip with us, whether it's halfway around the world or in your own backyard, you can rest assured that you'll benefit from our vast experience in the travel industry, our award winning service and client satisfaction.Read More
Book With Flexibility
- Peace of Mind
Complimentary "Peace of Mind" Travel Plan for 2021 trips
- Change Destination / Vacation
Change to a different destination or vacation with the Globus Family of Brands.
- Change Dates
Choose new departure dates if your plans change.
- Great Service
Award-winning service, low prices, client satisfaction
Begin this timeless Europe river cruise vacation in vibrant Budapest, Hungary, sail along the Danube River with exciting stops in Austria and Germany, and conclude in historical Nuremberg, Germany. As you leave Budapest, you’ll sail past the splendid Parliament Building, and along Danube River, you’ll have Hungary on your left and Slovakia on your right as the river runs between both countries for a 58-mile stretch. Enjoy an amazing view of the landscapes of Bratislava while sailing. Vienna, Austria, offers stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the Habsburg Palace, the Vienna Opera House, and much more. In the heart of the Wachau wine region is Dürnstein, a 16th-century town with charming cobblestone streets and the baroque Stiftskirche with its luminous blue façade. In Melk, visit Austria’s majestic Benedictine Abbey, one of Europe’s largest monasteries, and enjoy a tasting of some of the Wachau Valley’s famous wines. You’ll love a guided walk through Passau, with its narrow streets, beautiful Patrician houses, and baroque architecture. Sail further up the Danube River, and you’ll come to the medieval walls of Regensburg, the only German city not bombed during WWII. Here, we’ll introduce you to some of Germany’s famous beers! The last stop on this memorable river cruise vacation is the thousand-year-old city of Nuremberg. During guided sightseeing, marvel at the medieval fortifications, extraordinary gothic churches, and the Imperial Castle. And in your free time, be sure to make a wish at the striking fountain on the Hauptmarkt (Main Square)—a perfect ending to a memorable river cruise vacation!
- Day 1BUDAPEST, HUNGARY (EMBARKATION)Sun, Nov 01, 2020Welcome to Hungary. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding. Flights into Budapest must arrive by 2 pm. Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.The day is yours to relax and enjoy the city with time for photographs, cafés, and confections.EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO VIENNA(D)
- Day 2VIENNA, AUSTRIAMon, Nov 02, 2020Vienna Waltzes and the Beautiful Blue Danube Start the day with a Morning Stretch with your Avalon Adventure Host.Enjoy sailing the Danube, which shares dozens of miles with Hungary and Slovakia. Relax on the Sky Deck to see the rolling landscape and red-rooftops of the Slovakian capital of Bratislava come into view. This evening in Vienna, you may choose to join an Optional Excursion to attend a Royal Waltz Concert for an unforgettable evening of music in an elegant hall.OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN VIENNA (B,L,D)
- Day 3VIENNATue, Nov 03, 2020Royal Collections, Amusing AttractionsCLASSIC Venture into the Habsburg empire this morning on a Guided City Tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex–the winter residence of the Imperial Family, the historic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral.Join a Guided Optional Excursion to Schönbrunn Palace–a Habsburg Empire summer home for 300 years. This afternoon, enjoy free time to take a tram to visit Austria’s Prater amusement park or one of the many museums nearby. You may also decide to borrow a bike from the ship to explore the streets and squares of Vienna, or ride along the banks of the Danube at your leisure.Later, enjoy live entertainment on board. OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO DÜRNSTEIN(B,L,D)
- Day 4DÜRNSTEINWed, Nov 04, 2020Fairytale Castles, Kings, and Cobblestones of Delightful Dürnstein CLASSIC Join a Guided Walk, and hear the legendary tale of King Richard the Lionheart–who was imprisoned in the castle above the village during the Crusades, OR:ACTIVE Join a Hike up to the castle ruins with your Adventure Host for a spectacular view of the village, Danube, and the Wachau Valley below. Enjoy coffee or a cocktail on the Sky Deck as you sail through the picturesque Wachau Valley to Melk. MELK Ornate Architecture and Scenic SplendorsCLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of Melk’s magnificent Benedictine Abbey to marvel at its frescoed ceilings, statues, incredible library, and ornate pipe organ.DISCOVERY Enjoy the flavors of the Wachau Valley with a Wine Tasting on board.EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO PASSAU(B,L,D)
- Day 5PASSAU, GERMANYThu, Nov 05, 2020Go for Baroque in Passau–Where the Danube, Inn, and Ilz Rivers meet CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk to learn more about this beautiful “City of Three Rivers.”Alternatively, join a full-day Guided Optional Excursion to Salzburg—the city of Mozart—or to the picturesque Bohemian town of Cesky Krumlov.Meet your ship back in Passau after your full-day selected activity for sailing.EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO REGENSBURG(B,L,D)
- Day 6REGENSBURGFri, Nov 06, 2020Magical Regensburg—Bavaria’s Medieval MiracleCLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk and see Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) and Porta Pretoria–built in 179 AD as the entrance to Castra Regina fortress. You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the Benedictine Monastery in Weltenburg. Alternatively spend a free afternoon exploring Regensburg on foot or by bike through its charming streets.This evening, enjoy live entertainment after dinner as you cruise toward Roth. EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ROTH(B,L,D)
- Day 7ROTH. EXCURSION TO NUREMBERGSat, Nov 07, 2020Living Heritage and History LessonsDISCOVERY Enjoy an Onboard Lecture about the Main-Danube Canal–linking these two rivers to make a vital connection enabling navigation between the North and Black Seas. CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Sightseeing Tour of the Bavarian town of Roth—with its half-timbered houses, market square, and 1535 hunting lodge Schloss Ratibor, OR:CLASSIC Choose a Guided Sightseeing of Nuremberg–with its medieval architecture, gilded fountain, gothic cathedral, and Kaiserburg Castle, OR;CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of the historic Nuremberg Rally Grounds–used by the Third Reich.DISCOVERY Later, indulge in a Beer Tasting on board.EVENING CRUISE TO NUREMBERG(B,L,D)
- Day 8NUREMBERG (DISEMBARKATION)Sun, Nov 08, 2020Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning. (B)
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change is necessary, a substitute will be offered.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Day 1 Budapest (Embarkation): onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Vienna: scenic sailing, pass through Bratislava
Day 3 Vienna: guided sightseeing
Day 4 Dürnstein—Wachau Valley—Melk: choice of guided tour, or hike up to the castle ruins in Dürnstein; scenic cruise through the Wachau Valley; guided tour of the Benedictine Abbey in Melk; wine tasting on board
Day 5 Passau: guided walk
Day 6 Regensburg: guided walk
Day 7 Nuremberg: lecture on board; choice of guided sightseeing in Nuremberg or Roth, or Nuremberg Rally Grounds tour; beer tasting on board
Day 8 Nuremberg (Disembarkation): your cruise ends this morning
Gratuities to Local Guides & Excursion Drivers are included.
Avalon offers the opportunity for solo travelers to sail with no single supplement (subject to availability).
Please call for single accommodation price. Triples not available.
Extra nights are not available.
All prices per person based on double occupancy. Cruise price based on Category E in a deluxe outside stateroom on Indigo Deck. See below for upgrade pricing.
Hygiene and Safety Protocols for Avalon Waterways
Today's world has changed, but what remains certain is Avalon Waterways' commitment to guest safety, comfort and peace-of-mind while traveling with us. To that end, Avalon Waterways has established a worldwide Assurance program, with enhanced on-trip protocols and procedures, to ensure the health – and happiness – of guests throughout their travels with us.
It all starts with Avalon Waterways' Global Health & Safety Team, dedicated to ensuring that cleanliness of all operations exceeds today’s travel standards—from start to finish. The following areas address Avalon Waterways' commitment to providing a safe and clean environment for guests.
New embarkation procedures to offer guests a safe start to their journey, including:
- Social distancing throughout embarkation
- Mandatory health screening, including touch-free temperature-check, for all guests and crew
- Luggage disinfection prior to onboarding (with crew wearing gloves and masks)
FRESH AIR, INSIDE AND OUT:
In addition to Avalon Waterways' Open-Air staterooms, the air in the ships is not circulated between staterooms; only within an individual stateroom and mixed with fresh, outside air.
BLENDING CULTURAL PROXIMITY WITH SOCIAL DISTANCE:
New social distancing guidelines for guests throughout their Avalon cruise include:
- Reducing ship capacity as required for more space on board per guest
- Introducing more dining venues for more dining space per person
- Crew wearing masks for the duration of the cruise during any guest interaction
- Providing masks for guests to wear during any event where social proximity could become an issue, including disembarkation for excursions and safety drills
- Adjusting ratio of guides and coaches for excursions, as required
NEW TECHNOLOGY TO ENSURE CLEANLINESS:
- Electrostatic disinfecting systems
- UV disinfecting systems
TOUCHING HEARTS, NOT HANDS:
Reducing risk with hands-free service, including:
- More hand-sanitizing stations throughout the ship
- Required use of hand-sanitizing stations when leaving the ship, returning to the ship and entering dining venues as well as entering each public/common space
- Self-serve stations, including buffets, drinks, specialty coffees and snacks have been replaced with crew service
- All buffets (breakfast and lunch) replaced by a full range of á la carte menu choices
- Hourly (or more frequent) disinfection of all public areas
COMMITMENT TO THE CLEANEST SHIPS:
Enhanced cleaning procedures throughout each ship, including these additional steps that go above-and-beyond Avalon’s already strict procedures:
- Deep disinfection of each stateroom between cruises, including:
- Use of disinfectants and cleaning materials that meet the highest standards
- Soft goods in each stateroom (mattress, sofa, window coverings, chairs, etc.) disinfected between cruises
- Disinfection of all dining areas between meals
- Disinfection of all shared items like umbrellas, bicycles and other Adventure Center items
- Disinfection of all goods prior to loading on the ship
- Ongoing crew training in protective equipment use and hygiene
FOCUS ON CREW HEALTH:
Ensuring a healthy crew, including:
- Medical certificate required prior to start of contract
- Daily temperature checks
- Social distancing in crew living quarters
- Regular health screenings
Life on Board
Questions & Answers
Question: Will the day-by-day itinerary change?
Question: In what language is the river cruise conducted?
Similar Itineraries Other Travelers Liked
|Nov 01, 2020||Avalon Waterways||Artistry II||8||$2,749|
|Nov 01, 2020||Avalon Waterways||Artistry II||10||$2,999|
|Nov 01, 2020||Uniworld||SS Maria Theresa||8||$2,999|
|Nov 01, 2020||AmaWaterways||AmaCerto||8||$3,499|
|Nov 02, 2020||AmaWaterways||AmaViola||8||$3,499|
Great crew and cruise director. Boat appears nearly a new boat due to constant attention they give. Mosul was special and made the cruise.
The staff was excellent in accomodating my 88 year old mother who took her Rollator on-board The Gentle Walks worked well.
Great trip , loved all the discounts , and room upgrade. Allyson always answered my questions promptly.
Due to positioning issues, we were changed to a sister ship, Affinity II. The layout was excellent with several large public areas either inside or protected from the weather; those areas inside had wonderful panorama windows. The Cat A cabin was a good size, comfortable with an excellent bathroom layout and great shower. We ran into low water conditions on the Rhine and therefore had to do part of the cruise via land. Avalon handled this as best as possible and kept our inconvenience to a minimum. Their rearrangements were less disruptive than other river cruisers we bumped in to. The only negatives are the noise level in the dining room and the cabins on the port side sometimes had diesel fumes (many of us experienced this); the starboard cabins did not have this problem (only reason for not giving a top score for cabin)
The ship and staff were great. There was concern about low river levels, but they handled the situation very well. As a result, we had not problems and stayed on schedule throughout the cruise. This was a new cruise combining the Rhine and Moselle rivers, and it was one of the best we've had. We now have had 5 cruises with Avalon.
I've now been on 3 river cruises with Avalon and have loved each one.
Our river cruise on Avalon was fabulous. The cruise director was professional and always available for any questions and he went out of his way to make sure our travel experience was a good one. The entire crew on the Avalon was amazing. Every crew member was cheerful, and always helpful. They all had a sense of humor and engaged with all our fellow travelers in a delightful way. The crew made this trip even more special. The food was delicious. This was one of our best trips ever.
Our cruise director was always available, helpful and courteous. In addition, he was extremely entertaining, so his information stuck, and he went out of his way to make sure that we were able to make the most of any free time we had, by providing suggestions, tips and recommendations. I loved his port talks and receiving the printed itinerary and additional information and maps for the next day. I have kept every one of them in the folder provided, and still refer them for information on our destinations. The rest of the crew on the Artistry II were always friendly, efficient and provided quality service, from the waiters and the stewards all the way to the Captain. Absolutely wonderful experience-Avalon does it again.
Our tour director was fabulous. Everything ran like clockwork. The Moselle river is the most beautiful river we have ever been on.
Delightful experience. Great itinerary. Wonderful food and service.
Everything went according to plans for the city stays and the riverboat cruise. Unfortunately, we could have had a little better weather.
This was an awesome first class Tour in a great part of Europe.
Additional included tours were provided but not listed in the brochure. A plus. Lots of vineyards and lots of castles.
The trip was wonderful. Highly recommended.
We had a wonderful trip with both Monogram and Avalon. We Totally enjoyed our experience. Would definitely recommend both travel companies to others.
This trip exceeded our expectations...have already booked our new trip through Affordable and recommended Affordable and Avalon River cruise to others.
Had a great time Avelon ship great food great all was good